Are you concerned about the power source of a hybrid car? Is this what is holding you back from purchasing one today? The motors of hybrid cars are battery-powered, making them something that people may not be comfortable with just yet at this point in time. With that said, there’s no reason to be skittish about pursuing your dream of purchasing a hybrid due to power concerns. It is wise to understand hybrid car battery packs before purchasing your first hybrid car. Let’s consider the main points you should understand:
1. Replacement of hybrid car battery packs should not be a concern. Hybrid car batter packs are made to last for a lifetime, which is why warranties on battery packs can last up to ten years. Mileage-wise, hybrid car battery packs have a lifespan of 160,000 to 200,000 miles, though it will probably last for much longer than that.
2. The toxicity of hybrid car battery packs is not an issue. Since hybrid cars utilize NiMH batteries, you need not worry about battery toxicity. This is only a major concern if rechargeable nickel cadmium batteries were used, which is not the case. While nickel cadmium batteries can be harmful to the environment, NiMH batteries are fully recyclable.
3. Hybrid car battery packs hardly ever fail. The rate of hybrid car battery failures is extremely low. If there is any type of batter failure, then it will usually occur before you even start the car. Some Toyota Prius battery packs have even made it 300,000 miles and beyond.
5. Hybrid car battery packs are not expensive to replace. The replacement cost of hybrid car battery packs should not be considered an issue since the battery packs are builtfor long life. Even the U.S. Department of Energy stopped testing hybrid vehicles after realizing that the hybrid car as sound as a new vehicle after 180,000 miles. However, should your hybrid battery run out before its warranty, the process of reconditioning the battery is very simple. By replacing the module in question with a module that maches those of the remaining 27 modules, you will not have to spend much at all and the battery pack will still be in good repair.
6. Hybrid car battery packs are evolving. The main goal of hybrid car battery packs is to discover a power-driven piece of technology that can last as long as the car itself. Because of this, there is already a new generation of hybrid battery pack in development.
So if you have been waiting to purchase a hybrid vehicle due to your concerns about battery packs, you should sleep easier. Technological advances have really taken the battery issue off of the table for hybrid car critics. Now you can concentrate on more important things – like choosing what color of interior you like best!